Sunday, September 23, 2012

Hookah Lounges: Girls, Arabic Music, And Shisha




Hookah lounges are becoming popular in North America, they took off in the early to mid 2000 and were all over the place. Thanks to the Iraq war, more Americans would come home searching for that flavor of hookah and aroma. Kids from Saudi Arabia are regulars, the owners of the establishment tend to treat them like they are some royals.

Luckily, more and more Arab Americans started opening up such places around American cities. It became hip to be smooking hookahs at those lounges. And thus Arab students and expats in America would bring their freinds along for a visit. Mint tea, music videos, and hookah. Food is also an option. But music played a big part in those businesses.

In 2005 more music videos has been made than any year before. That means who ladies with less clothes and more pop songs to play in your store. American would look at those clips and shatter their ideas of conservative Arabs. Ruby and her bike, Marwa and her horse were punchlines. All of sudden, you could not miss Arabic music videoes. Then came in YouTube and it has become easy for everyone to access music videos from home. Lounges used to bring CDs/DVD from home with those videos. The more recent your music videos the more Arab Americans turn out to your lounge.

At 20 bucks a pop for Hookah, business was amazing. A hookah costs less than 2 bucks to serve, fetches 20 bucks, that's pure cash gold. Tea is three bucks, and yes they may have a minimum charge. Hookah lounges are not known for their dance floors, but if you want to dance, you can. Sometimes, they would bring in a professional belly dancer to make the boys and the ladies happy.

I love the Moroccan style seating where you sit on the floor, not a chair. This way you get cozy, spend more time, and hopefully more dollars. I never liked hookah, but I would go for a hot drink and some music videos. I never was your stereotypical Arab I never liked coffee and do not like the hookah and I only watch the World Cup. But music videos are my thing.

Paymon's Hookah Lounge


2 comments:

  1. Your title says it all. Its girls + shisha. I'm a different fan and now that I am stationed in Guam I'm missing the lounges they had in NY. Anyways I found your website which is making me miss it even more.

    Oh here's a site to share if you don't like hookah, but still want to see the girls and see what good music they are listening to. It's http://hothookahgirls.com my new favorite website. I miss my hookah lounge.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am happy to find this post very useful for me, as it contains lot of information. I always prefer to read the quality content and this thing I found in you post. Thanks for sharing! DONE

    ReplyDelete