Sunday, June 26, 2011

Samira Toufic, The Godmother of Lebanon



She is the mother of all those folksy Lebanese songs the world came to love, telling stories from all those famous Lebanese towns and pockets. Tarablos, Ba3albak, Beirut, Al 7amrah...and such she has sang for those places in the 80s and 70s.

It's like taking a grant tour of Lebanon when you listen to a Samira Toufic song, she makes a great tour guide to that country. Her fame did not come easy, the particular style of singing she has mastered has been for long dominated by manly males with solid voices.

For sometime growing up, I thought I knew a lot of cool songs that seemed very close to my own Palestinian tongue, when I went back to Gaza, and I saw those songs were played then like they were local songs, I was excited. I learned a lot about my home through Samira Tawfik songs and music. With her sweet and bold voice, the stores she told made life colorful.

اجمل اغاني سميرة توفيق

0 comments:

Post a Comment