Sunday, June 5, 2011

Mohamed El Ezaby, The Arab Dylan



I would love to see a concert by this iconic Egyptian singer, the blast from the past Mohammad Al 'ezabby. He is a legend in his country Egypt, but anyone who went to school in Egypt or listened to the radio in the 70s and 60s, then you know this guy, but most of all you will know his songs.

I know him because my dad used to sing his old songs to me, and I miss those songs and go back to them as often as I can. He took part of the song about Arab issues in Al Dameer Al Araby, he was Egypt's response to Wadee3 Al Safy. The folk legend, I think he ius the Bob Dylan of Arabic music. Perhaps the story he tells are like those of folk music John Prine.

This song of his was remade so many times, most famous cover was by Waleed Tawfik who sort of made the song his. But again nothing beats the orginal song by the lively voice of this never too old entertainer to entertain. Last time I check he is taking a break from singing. But this song about Bahyah, a girl he is fond of and follows around from the people's stories. Here comes 'Oyoon Bahya...Bahya's eyes.

بهية وعيون بهية

0 comments:

Post a Comment