Sunday, August 7, 2011

An Iraqi Song That Few Know Its Origin




Here's a mawal that came from Iraq, but was made famous by a Lebanese singer Sameera Tawfik. Way before anyone can think this is an Iraqi song, this song was on its was to become a classic in the Iraqi archive.

It was one of those songs that was made a global hit by a cover and very few recall the orginal artist behind it. Watch Adel Almokhtar, the son of Iraq transcend with this one. Keep on mind the original song was performed by Sabah Al Lamy. The original clip has half a million viewers on YouTube.

If you have a minute read the comments to see how passionate people are about this song and what it means to many of them.

عادل المختار - موال + بين العصر والمغرب



صباح اللامي - بين العصر والمغرب


Your reaction?
والله لانصب مرجوحة من سطوحي لسطوحة من سطوحي لسطوحة I swear by god that I will dangle a swinging rope From my rooftop to his (the beloved's rooftop) From my rooftop to his (the beloved's rooftop) خلي يقولو حرامي روحي متعلقا بروحة روحي متعلقة بروحة Let them say "he is a theif" if they may for my soul is roped/attached to his soul for my soul is roped/attached to his soul

Translation by: Modallas

لا تضربني لا تضرب كسرت الخيزرانه كسرت الخيزرانه Beloved - oh don't hit me .. oh don't hit Your stick (with which you hit me) is now broken Your stick (with which you hit me) is now broken

 صارلي سنة و ست أشهر من ظربتك وجعانه من ظربتك وجعانه It's now been a year and six more months That my body has been aching from your hit That my body has been aching from your hit

هذا الهوى من عدهم يحمل طيوب احبابي يحمل طيوب احبابي This breeze of love has come unto us from their lands carrying with it the scent of my beloved carrying with it the scent of my beloved والقلب ما ينساهم والعشق مو چذابي والعشق مو چذابي (كذابي) And my heart could never forget them For the love in me (for the beloved) is no liar For my love in me (for the beloved) is no liar

Translation: بين العصر و المغرب مرت لمة خيالة مرت لمة خيالة Between the time of the late afternoon and the sunset A cavalry of horse riders passed us by A cavalry of horse riders passed us by و عرفت فرس و ليفي لإنها شقرا و مياله لإنها شقرا و مياله And I identified the mare of my beloved For she (the mare or the beloved - you decide) was blonde and walked with grace For she (the mare or the beloved - you decide) was blonde and walked with grace

0 comments:

Post a Comment