Saturday, January 22, 2011

Kathem Al Saher, 2011 Album



I hope Iraq and the rest of the Gulf are ready for Katehm Al Saher who seems to be targeting them with his latest album to be released this week. This is the first album free of any Nizar Qabani songs. The Syrian poet that gave Katehm the best of his songs, making them memorable by the Iraqi musician style, music and voice. Not a bad idea as the Iraqi composer faces a lot of critics wrongfully claim that Kathim cannot shine without the work of Nizar.

The album will be focused on Iraqi music and some Gulf themes, we already saw a music video fro one of the songs on the album (read here) So let's see how this one plays out. The album cover is out and it seems to be on the simple side. I think there will be a song or two by the Iraqi lyricist Kareem Al Iraqi who gave Kathem some beautiful songs (Alma7kama anyone?)

I know I always look forward to any song or album by Katehm and I am rarely disappointed in his work, two albums ago I wasn't too impressed, but I have reasons to believe this upcoming album will be different. A departure from Kathim Al Sahir who plays it safe now he wants to show us a glimpse of him breaking free from his past and trying new and uncharted territories.

Stay tuned February 2, 2011 the album will be released by Rotana

0 comments:

Post a Comment