Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Iwan of Lebanon Ventures Into Gulf Music


Lebanese musician has done it all, Egyptian and Lebanese songs, you name it. Now he is following the money, he is doing a Gulf dialect. Sarah Al hajjary, wrote the lyrics to Ashofak, "I want to see You" Iwan put the music to it and sang it. This is a change for Iwan who is venturing into this often elusive style of singing, plus the the listeners in the Gulf are a lot more traditionalists than their peers in the Arab world.

Not too excited it about the song, but I welcome it, it's not a bad song. Iwan has the voice to make any song worth the time listeners put into it plus I think he showed some style with this music video, I love his outfits. Some delightful CG work done here by the sometimes controversial director turned singer Jad Al Choury. I know that Iwan has done enough lifting in his career to make smart choices.

This is a mix of traditonal style of singing and music combing with the futuristic visions of Jad and that Iwan charm. I do see some traces of Yehya Saades in this music video, not sure why, but the atmosphere feels similar to the late directors previous music videos. On any case, I would like to see the Jad treatment of Gulf music videos.

Iwan - Ashofak / إيوان - أشوفك

0 comments:

Post a Comment