Saturday, February 26, 2011

Macy Gray, Go or Don't, We Love You



Ever since I came to America, and I have felt some sort of affinity with African Americans and felt that their music comes from the heart which I could always relate to. I related to the search of justice, and I certainly related to their feeling of being overlooked or at times dismissed. I am sure others around the world feel the same way, part of a global tribe that seems to be always on a quest for justice.

Throughout my time here, I have never had to tell my story to an African American, they sort of understand all the stereotypes and the false perceptions people have of a group of people. And this is an imagined sense of community, it has always been real to me. And as I lived in a conservative State and came to hear the often false and inaccurate portrayal of a people. While no one is perfect, this is why I would never engage in stereotyping people, cultures and religions.

So it came to a big surprise for me to find out that one of my favorite musicians was considering a concert in Israel. I mean this is Macy Gray one of the smartest and most sophisticated voices in American music, the Grammy winner know how to make educated choices that fit her style and voice. Some people were unhappy with Macy. Both people in the BDS movement and the ones on the right. Everyone wants here to do something opposite to the other. But those two parties miss that Macy is an entertainer not some politicians. If a Palestinian wanted to go to her concert in Tel Aviv, they will certainly be denied the opportunity.

I think the BDS is right to call for boycott and I think the message has been delivered. BDS showed some class, they did not call the artist names, they did not get personal like those who want her to go did. We first wrote and asked Macy not to go we did that in the nicest way possible in "Macy Gray, to Tell Aviv Don't Go" Even thought she said she will go, the racist who do not see Arabs as people, did the same thing to Macy and insulted her.

While Macy spoke out against Israel's policies of apartheid, discriminatory policies...etc. She decided that she will go to Israel and not boycott them. She made sure that Israelis knew where she stands on their politics, and yet by going there, she tells them you can enjoy my music too. I mean this takes a big person to do. It's not too hard to say I boycott, but if you say, I think you are doing wrong, but I won't deny you. After all they say music brings people together. Ray Charles did that earlier, but he also knew when to back down. You cannot lock people in and treat them as one group who believes the same thing and agrees on everything.

Look at one of the leading voices who claim to have Israel's interest in heart, commenting on Macy's opinion she had no problem calling Macy a bitch! I won't link to those clowns, but I must say this.....music is about love and with that kind of language, I doubt you have ever been loved. I chose to be a fan of Macy Gray... I would rather enjoy her album titled "sellout" than calling her one.

0 comments:

Post a Comment